Good afternoon, friends!
So, Trump asks everyone else to leave the Oval Office and then tells the head of the FBI to drop the FBI investigation of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn. From my perspective as an attorney, this is the very definition of obstruction of justice. So how do Paul Ryan and other Republicans react? Ryan actually said the following “…The President’s new at this. He’s new to government, and so he probably wasn’t steeped in the long-running protocols that establish the relationships between DOJ, FBI, and White House. He’s just new to this.” Have they no shame?
That may be what Republicans are saying, but Indivisible is calling for impeachment hearings! Here’s a link to their impeachment primer: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resource/truth-or-trump/
Here in Florida we can continue to register people to vote and continue collecting rights restoration petitions to restore the right to vote to the 1.6 million Floridians who cannot vote because of a felony conviction.
On Wednesday, Ron McCoy, Janet Thompson, Paulo Ayrolla, and I registered 5 voters and collected another 83 petitions! Here’s how you can help:
1. Tomorrow, Saturday, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM to 6 PM to register voters and collect rights restoration petitions. If you’d like to help at the Library in one of the 2-hour shifts, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or email@example.com.
2. On Sunday, June 11th, starting at 4 PM, Equality Florida, working with a group of community leaders and organizations, is sponsoring the Equality Rally for Unity and Pride at Huizenga Plaza, 1 East Las Olas Blvd. in downtown Fort Lauderdale. Would you like to join me there to collect petitions?
3. We’ll be back at the West Regional Courthouse on Monday, June 12th from 10 AM to 2 PM. Can you come out to help?
4. Also on Monday, June 12th, starting at 6:30 PM sharp, the Broward ACLU will have a Petition Gathering Training at the Skolnick Center, 800 SW 36 Avenue in Pompano Beach. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. On Tuesday, June 13th, at 7 PM, the Plantation Democratic Club will have its next meeting at the Deicke Auditorium, 5701 Cypress Road in Plantation. Our speaker will be Sarah Osborne, a senior level Diversion Investigator with the DEA, who will discuss the growing opioid crisis. Hope to see you there.
6. On Wednesday, June 14th, we’ll be back at the West Regional Courthouse from 10 AM to 2 PM. Can you join us?
7. And on Thursday, June 15th, starting at 6:30 PM, the Broward County Progressive Caucus will be hosting The People Summit General Meeting at the Broward AFL-CIO Office, 1700 NW 66th Avenue in Plantation. RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/browardprogressives/
And don’t forget: if you are collecting rights restoration petitions, I have free t-shirts for you!