Good evening, everybody!
It has been an amazing few days. On Saturday, Lonnie Supnick and his team of volunteers (Andy Culberson and Al & Mary Mizell) set a new record at the Southwest Regional Library, when they collected 112 rights restoration petitions! And yesterday at the Equality and Pride Rally in downtown Fort Lauderdale, there were about a dozen volunteers from different organizations and in less than 3 hours, almost 500 petitions were signed! And today, at the West Regional Courthouse, with the help of Ron McCoy, Paulo Ayrolla, and Lonnie Supnick, we collected another 106 rights restoration petitions! Libraries, and Rallies and Courthouses are great places to collect petitions!
This evening (Monday night), the Broward ACLU held a training session for volunteers who were eager to help collect rights restoration petitions. We gave t-shirts to almost all of the people who attended and promised to collect petitions. We also provided sheets that say “Restore Voter Rights, Sign Petition” for the back of clipboards.
But we cannot get the Rights Restoration Amendment on the 2018 Ballot without your help. By the end of this year, 766,200 petitions must be submitted! Since we now already have something over 100,000, and since there will be duplicates and ineligible petitions, we need to collect another 650,000 petitions to make sure we have enough. The petitions are being collected all across the State of Florida, but we in South Florida can have the biggest effect in this campaign. We can potentially have more volunteers than any other part of the State, and really maximize out efforts. BUT THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN WITH YOUR HELP! Here are some of what’s going on during the next week of so. Check out the list and let me know when you can join us.
1. Tomorrow, Tuesday, June 13th, at 7 PM, the Plantation Democratic Club will have its next meeting at the Deicke Auditorium, 5701 Cypress Road in Plantation. Our speaker will be Sarah Osborne, a senior level Diversion Investigator with te DEA, who will discuss the growing opioid crisis. Hope to see you there.
2. On Wednesday, June 14th, we’ll be back at the West Regional Courthouse (Broward & Pine Island) from 10 AM to 2 PM. We need help on Wednesday; can you join us?
3. Also on Wednesday, Indivisible is calling for a National Senate Call-In Day, to ask Senators to reject the health care proposal they are working on behind closed doors, which would leave 23 million people without coverage. Let’s call Marco Rubio at 202-224-3041 and let him know what we think.
4. On Thursday, June 15th, from 10 AM to 2 PM, for the first time, we will be collecting rights restoration petitions at the African American Library, 2650 Sistrunk Blvd. (NW 27th Street south of Sunrise Blvd.) in Fort Lauderdale. Please let me know if you can help out on that day.
5. Also on Thursday, June 15th, starting at 6:30 PM, the Broward County Progressive Caucus will be hosting The People Summit General Meeting at the Broward AFL-CIO Office, 1700 NW 66th Avenue in Plantation. RSVP at https://www.facebook.com/browardprogressives/
6. On Saturday, June 17th, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM to 6 PM to register voters and collect rights restoration petitions. If you’d like to help at the Library in one of the 2-hour shifts, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or email@example.com.
7. And, next Monday and Wednesday, June 19th and 21st, we will be back at the West Regional Courthouse from 10 AM to 2 PM. We need your help! Please let us know if you will be able to join us.
It would also be great if we can get a regular team of volunteers at the Main Courthouse in downtown Fort Lauderdale. They would probably collect more petitions than we get at the West Regional Courthouse! And don’t forget: if you are collecting rights restoration petitions, I have free t-shirts for you!