Happy New Year to one and all!
We are still waiting to hear whether there are enough valid and certified rights restoration petitions to put the Amendment on the 2018 Ballot. In the meantime, there are actions that we can take and dates that we can save to help make sure that 2018 turns out to be the year that our country gives a clear and resounding response to the embarrassing presidency of Donald Trump and to the Republican Party that has supports him.
1. The recent repeal of all existing net neutrality protections by the FCC can ruin the fundamentally open nature of the internet. 83% of voters on both sides of the aisle oppose the repeal of net neutrality. Dr. Dan Isaacson, editor of The Enlightened Voter out of Palm Beach County, suggests that the fight is not over because there is a new campaign to demand that Congress use the Congressional Review Act (CRA) to step in, overrule the FCC action, and restore net neutrality. The CRA only requires a simple majority in the House and the Senate to pass, but such a vote must happen within 60 legislative days of the repeal order going into effect. Here’s what you can do: On Thursday, January 4th, you will be able to shout to Congress loud and clear while you’re still at home in your pajamas. Here in Florida, there will be a #AmericansMarchIYP to put pressure on Republican Senator Marco Rubio. Instructions from Dr. Isaacson for how to do this are in the attachment to this message. You can also go to The Enlightened Voter website for more information: https://theenlightenedvoter.com/2018/01/01/two-days-to-go/
2. On Saturday, January 6th, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM to 4 PM to register voters. He still needs volunteers for 2-hour shifts. If you’d like to help with voter registration at the Library, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The next meeting of the Plantation Democratic Club will be at 7 PM on Tuesday, January 9th at the Deicke Auditorium.
4. On Saturday, January 20th, there will be marches in Washington, DC and participating cities across the country, demanding the impeachment and removal of Donald Trump from the Presidency. In our area, the march will take place at Mar-a-Lago in West Palm Beach, and there will be motor coach buses taking paying passengers from Fort Lauderdale to the site of the march. For further information: https://www.facebook.com/Impeachment-March-Palm-Beach-1916929525230789/ and https://www.letskedaddle.com/events/11341
5. The Women’s Day of Action Sunday, January 21st, will be a rally in Miami from 11 AM to 4 PM. This will be a community event focusing on voter registration, ending voter suppression, and harnessing our collective energy to advocate for policies and candidates that reflect our values. Motor coach transportation will also be available for this event. For further information check this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1256072497832630/
6. The Broward Democratic Party’s Obama Roosevelt Legacy Dinner will be at the Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, March 3rd starting at 6 PM. For more information and tickets, go to: www.browarddemocrats.org/ORL2018 Save the date!
7. And finally, save the date Saturday, May 5th for the Plantation Democratic Club’s annual celebration and open bar at Volunteer Park’s Banquet Room, this year honoring the service our our own Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel!