If you ever needed proof that elections have consequences, just look at what happened at the United States Supreme Court during the past few weeks: First, the Court upholds by a 5 to 4 vote Ohio’s aggressive program to purge its voter rolls; then the Court put off for another time a challenge to partisan gerrymandering leaving the status quo in place; then the Court, in another 5 to 4 decision, blocked a California law that required “crisis pregnancy centers” to provide abortion information; then the Court ruled 5 to 4 that President Trump had the legal authority to restrict travel from several Muslim countries; and then the Court, in still another 5-4 ruling that will severely weaken labor unions, held that government workers who choose not to join unions may not be required to help pay for collective bargaining.
AND THEN JUSTICE ANTHONY KENNEDY ANNOUNCED THAT HE IS RETIRING!
More than ever, we have to register people to vote, make sure that they vote in the mid-terms, and do whatever is necessary to re-elect Bill Nelson as our Senator!
It was a fairly productive week at the West Regional Courthouse. Along with the help of Andrew Dolberg, Nigel MacDonald, Beth Mumby, Fran Savarick, Marsha Eisenberg, and a brand new college student volunteer named Joseph Russel, we registered 8 voters, signed up 11 people to vote by mail, and collected 122 calls for universal background checks and other common sense gun safety legislation!
Here is some of what’s going on during the next couple of weeks:
1. At 2 PM on Thursday, June 28th, join Andrew Gillum on the phone for some important updates on the state of the gubernatorial race and other pertinent matters. To RSVP for this call, use the following link: https://zoom.us/meeting/
2. Also on Thursday, join Ralph Rickel at the Broward Democratic Party office, 8320 West Sunrise Blvd, Suite 203 Plantation, FL 33322, from 6:00pm to 8:00pm for a voter engagement phone bank;
3. On Friday, June 29th starting at 5:30 PM, Jelani Harvey is hosting a fundraiser event for young professionals to meet and talk with Andrew Gillum at The Brass Tap, 551 N. Federal Highway, # 600, in Fort Lauderdale: https://act.andrewgillum.com/page/event/detail/volunteeractivityormeeting/wrt5 ;
4. Also starting on Friday, the Annual Florida Democratic Party Leadership Blue Weekend will start at the Diplomat Hotel and Resort, 3555 S. Ocean Drive in Hollywood. You can engage with like-minded Democrats, meet candidates, and learn more about the Florida Democratic Party. Campaign trainings will be offered at no cost. And on Friday night from 7 to 9 PM, you can meet each of the Gubernatorial Candidates. Here is a list of the events and trainings: http://www.floridadems.org/leadershipblue ;
5. On Saturday, June 30th, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM until 6 PM. If you’d like to help with voter registration at the Library, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or email@example.com ;
6. Also on Saturday, MoveOn, the National Domestic Workers Alliance, the ACLU, The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, and other organizations are hosting a Families Belong Together national day of action. This protest will start at 10 AM right in front of the Diplomat Hotel in Hollywood, 3555 S. Ocean Drive. Join us to send a clear message to Donald Trump and Congressional Republicans to stop separating kids from their parents!
8. And on Monday, July 2nd, I will be back at the West Regional Courthouse (Pine Island & Broward) from 10 AM to 2 PM to register voters and sign people up to vote by mail. As usual, we will have our large canopy to protect us from the sun and/or rain and a table and chairs. Don’t worry if you have never done voter registration before. It is very easy and rewarding! Please let me know if you can join me.