Today was the last day to register to vote in the August 28th Primary. I was joined at the Courthouse by Bob Horland, John Countryman, Joseph Russel, and three newcomers, high school students Laura Allen, David Allen, and Henry Le. They all did an incredible job and we ended up collecting 14 voter registration forms, 8 vote-by-mail requests, and 64 Universal Background Check Demands.
Absentee ballots have arrived. If you expected to receive one but have not gotten it yet, your 2-year request period may have ended. Go online or call the Broward Supervisor of Elections Office to re-register. And if you have received your ballot but don’t want to mail it back, you can give it to me and I will personally deliver it to the SOE Office. Just call when you want to drop it off, and make sure that my wife or I are at home.
There are all sorts of events for you to participate in during the next few days:
1. For Plantation residents, there will be a Plantation Mayoral Candidate Forum, hosted by Michael Hixon and Frank Carreras of Plantation Politics and Community Concerns at 6:30 PM tomorrow (Tuesday) night at the Deicke Auditorium, 5701 Cypress Road in Plantation;
2. On Wednesday, August 1st, I will be back at the West Regional Courthouse (Pine Island & Broward) from 10 AM to 2 PM to register voters and sign people up to vote by mail. As usual, we will have the canopy to protect us from the sun and/or rain. Please let me know if you can join me;
3. At 7 PM on Thursday, August 2nd, the Davie Cooper City Democratic Club will have its monthly meeting at the Davie Pine Island Multipurpose Center, 3801 S. Pine Island Road in Davie. The candidates for the State Representative Seat in District 98, Andrew Dolberg, Michael Gottlieb, Elaine Geller, Stephen Korka, and Daniel Stallone, will be featured. In addition, they will be presenting a live broadcast of the Gubernatorial Debate out of Miami. Laurie Rich Levinson and Donna Korn, School Board candidates, will also be in attendance;
4. On Saturday, August 4th, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM until 6 PM. Volunteers take 2-hour shifts. If you’d like to help with voter registration at the Library on Saturday, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
5. Also on Saturday, from 3:30 to 5:30 PM, there will be a fundraiser for Andrew Gillum for Governor at 9661 Millpond Road in Miramar. For more information, please contact Akilah at email@example.com;
6. And on Monday and Wednesday, August 6th and 8th, I will be back at the West Regional Courthouse (Pine Island & Broward) from 10 AM to 2 PM to register voters and sign people up to vote by mail. Please let me know if you can join me;
7. The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition (FRRC) is having its Annual Convening from Thursday, August 9th to Saturday, August 11th at the Rosen Center in Orlando. Among the people the organization will be honoring on Saturday night at its Champions of Change Gala & Awards Ceremony are Howard Simon, the retiring Executive Director of the ACLU of Florida, and me, an almost retired attorney and grassroots activist. For more information, follow this link: https://floridarrc.com/convening/?ms_aff=FL&initms_aff=FL&ms=180723_2018_FRRC_Convening_&initms=180723_2018_FRRC_Convening_&ms_chan=eml&initms_chan=eml;
8. Two more dates to save: Tuesday, August 14th for the Plantation Democratic Club Meeting; and Sunday, August 19th, for the “Stronger Together” Get Out the Vote Rally.
Now, with all these events, surely there are some that you would like to attend!
9411 NW 10 Street
Plantation, FL 33322