I met Robert Mueller once. Years ago, while I was on the State Board of the Florida ACLU, Mueller was head of the FBI and came to speak to the organization to assure us that the FBI would never intentionally violate the constitutional rights of American citizens in carrying out its investigations. Whether or not the FBI has held true to his assurance, it was obvious to me then and ever since that Robert Mueller is brilliant, impressive, and an American original.
You can see just how brilliant and impressive he is by reading the just-released Report On The Investigation Into Russian Interference In The 2016 Presidential Election (the Mueller Report.) Focusing just on Volume II which deals with the questions about whether Donald Trump had obstructed justice in connection with the FBI investigation into Russia’s interference in the 2016 presidential election, Mueller provides what others have called a road-map detailing the facts about the events encompassing obstruction of justice in the following 11 distinct areas:
The Campaign’s response to reports about Russian support for Trump;
- Conduct involving FBI Director Comey and Michael Flynn;
- The President’s reaction to the continuing Russia investigation;
- The President’s termination of Comey;
- The appointment of a Special Counsel and efforts to remove him;
- Efforts to curtail the Special Counsel’s investigation;
- The President’s Efforts to Prevent Disclosure of Emails About the June 9, 2016 Meeting Between Russians and Senior Campaign Officials;
- Further efforts to have the Attorney General take control of the investigation;
- Efforts to have McGahn deny that the President had ordered him to have the Special Counsel removed;
- The President’s Conduct Towards Flynn, Manafort;
- The President’s Conduct Involving Michael Cohen.
Robert Mueller lays out the evidence in each of these areas, and without directly saying that our President has obstructed justice, provides the facts that show that indeed he has. My favorite quotation from the Mueller Report is the following: “(I)f we had confidence after a thorough investigation
of the facts that the President clearly did not commit obstruction of justice, we would so state. Based on the facts and the applicable legal standards, however, we are unable to reach that judgment.” In other words, we cannot say that he is innocent, because he is guilty!
It was another good week for voter registration and petition collection at the West Regional Courthouse. We collected 9 voter registration forms (including 3 neighbors with prior felony convictions), 3 requests to vote-by-mail, and 116 medicaid expansion petitions. Many thanks to Lonnie Supnick, Debra Longberg, Norman Levy, Marsha Eisenberg, Flora Costanzo, Lauren Tate, and Robin Adell for coming out to help.
I will be back at the West Regional Courthouse on Monday and Wednesday, April 22nd and 24th from 10 AM until 2 PM. I would love for you to come out and join me. Let me know if and when you can.