The day after Donald Trump’s shameful performance at the meeting with Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, one of my favorite writers, Thomas Friedman, wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times entitled “A President With No Shame and a Party With No Guts”. At the end of his article pointing out the mess that our country is in, Friedman pulls no punches in explaining what must be done:
“The only way to change this situation is not by hoping that the president develops some shame or that this version of the G.O.P. develops some spine. It is by Democrats winning the House, the Senate or both in the midterm elections.
Only by dealing an electoral defeat to this version of the G.O.P. in the midterms will we possibly get a healthy conservative party again (which we need) and curb Trump’s power.
Everything else is just words — and words without power change nothing.”
Here is the link to the entire opinion piece: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/17/opinion/trump-putin-republicans.html
At the West Regional Courthouse this week, we registered 6 voters, collected 19 vote-by-mail forms, and 98 Universal Background Check demands! Two incredible volunteers braved the heat and the threat of rain to come out and join me. Many thanks to Joseph Russel and Helen Skinner!
If we are going to change the situation and deal the G.O.P. an electoral defeat, we need more of you to come out and volunteer. We need you to help register voters. We need you to make phone calls. We need you to canvass and tell your neighbors why they must vote in the midterm elections.
Here are some of the events going on during the next week or so. Pick one or two and come out and help!
1. At 6 PM tonight, the Broward Young Democrats are hosting a night of food, drink, and fun to raise funds to help bring about a blue wave in November. This event will take place at Bokampers Sports Bar and Grill, 1280 S. Pine Island Road in Plantation. The suggested donation is $20;
2. Also happening tonight is the July membership meeting of Mons Demand Action where you can learn which gun sense candidates to support and how to help get them elected. This meeting starts at 6:30 PM at the River of Grass Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 11850 State Road 84 in Davie. You can RSVP at the following link: https://act.everytown.org/event/moms-demand-action-event/13199/
3. On Saturday, July 21st, John Ziegler’s team will be back at the West Regional Library in Plantation from 10 AM until 6 PM. He still needs volunteers for the 12-2 PM, and 4-6 PM shifts. If you’d like to help with voter registration at the Library on Saturday, please contact John at 954-232-3918 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. I’ll be knocking on neighbors’ doors this weekend. Let me know of you would like to join me.
5. And on Monday, July 23rd, and Wednesday, July 25th, I will be back at the West Regional Courthouse (Pine Island & Broward) from 10 AM to 2 PM to register voters and sign people up to vote by mail. As usual, we will have the canopy to protect us from the sun and/or rain, but I cannot put it up by myself. I need your help to do this, so please let me know when you can join me.
6. Saturday and Sunday, July 28th and 29th, will be a Weekend of Action for the Broward Democratic Party, so save the dates!
7. And finally, on Sunday, August 19th, at least 5 democratic clubs will be co-sponsoring a Pre-Election GOTV Rally starting at 2 PM at the Sunrise Civic Center Theater, 10610 W. Oakland Park Blvd. in Sunrise. This event is still in the planning stage, so mure information will be coming. But for now, SAVE THE DATE!