Good evening, friends!
We had another great day at the West Regional Courthouse on Wednesday. Collected another 10 voter registration forms, 3 vote-by-mail requests, and 79 rights restoration petitions! Many thanks to Ron McCoy, and our brand new volunteers, Cristina Arroyo and Cyd Sterling, for learning fast and doing an awesome job!
Republican senators today (Thursday) ended the longstanding requirement that a Supreme Court nominee must receive the consent of at least 60 votes in the Senate. This will ensure that Donald Trump’s nominee, Neil Gorsuch, will be confirmed and will serve on the Court for decades. From now on, any president’s nominee will need only 51 votes to be confirmed. With this incredible increase in the importance of whether Democrats or Republicans have the majority in the United States Senate, we have to redouble our efforts to register more Democrats and restore the vote to those Floridians who have a felony conviction!
Here’s what’s going on during the next few weeks and how you can help:
1. Next Monday, April 10th, Ron McCoy will be back at the West Regional Courthouse from 10 AM to 2 PM for more voter registration and petition collection. Please let him know at firstname.lastname@example.org or 954-790-3106 if you would like to help out.
2. On Thursday, April 13th, at 1:30 PM, there will be an Indivisible Broward #Resist Meeting at the Pride Center, 2040 North Dixie Highway, on Wilton Manors (954-463-9005). Congressman Ted Deutch will be one of the speakers.
3. On Saturday, April 15th, there will be two amazing events: First join the Tax Day March and Rally at 9:30 AM at the Trump Tower, 2711 S. Ocean Drive in Hollywood. Join the Indivisible Groups and demand that Trump releases his tax returns. And then at 12 Noon, join Rise Up!, Indivisible South Florida, Women’s March, and South Florida Activism at Trump Plaza at 525 S. Flagler Drive in West Palm Beach, for the “Show Us Your Taxes March-a-Lago”. This non-violent demonstration of our First Amendment rights will begin in front of Trump Plaza and the march will lead to Bingham Island, directly adjacent to Mar-a-Lago, Trump’s Winter White House. Bring your passion, your energy, signs, flags, and noise-makers!
4. At 2 PM on Sunday, April 16th, there will be a Freedom Cities event sponsored by ACLU/People Power at Temple Shaarei Shalom, 9085 Hagen Ranch Road, in Boynton Beach. The purpose of these events is to help turn our community into a Freedom City that protects and respects the rights of immigrant families in this country. This will be a family friendly event Celebrating Jewish/Muslim Unity Against Hate, and it will include a march to a nearby mosque (Al Amin Mosque).
5. I will be back out at the West Regional Courthouse (Broward & Pine Island) on Monday, April 17th, from 10 AM to 2 PM, to register voters and collect rights restoration petitions. Please let me know if you can help out.
6. On Saturday, April 22nd, starting at 5 PM, at Esplanade Park, 400 SW 2nd Street in Fort Lauderdale, there will be a March for Science, co-sponsored by Rise Up!, Indivisible South Florida, and the Women’s March of Florida, to celebrate and support science and the scientific community. https://www.facebook.com/events/396716634019007/
7. On Tuesday, April 25th, at 7 PM, the Plantation Democratic Club will have its next meeting at the Deicke Auditorium, 5701 Cypress Road in Plantation. (The meeting night had to be changed due to unavailability of space at the Deicke.) Our speaker will be immigration law attorney Denise Mendez.
8. And finally, from 5:30 to 7:30 PM on Saturday, May 6th, in the Banquet Room of Volunteer Park, 12050 West Sunrise Blvd. in Plantation, the Plantation Democratic Party will be having a cocktail party to honor former State Senator Nan Rich with the Bill Kling Community Service Award. There will be a delicious menu (see below or attached) and an open bar. Tickets purchased in advance are $50 and can be paid with PayPal by using the Payments button at www.plantationdems.org.